Saturday, September 24, 2005

After reading online rants, bashing blogs and inflamatory editorials by authors spewing venom over coffee, hub caps or the price of gas I realize that I long for civil discourse. I'm not against a person making their complaint in a creative way using exaggeration to make their point. What I object to is the person who doesn't agree with George Bush, or the president of the PTA, or the coach of the little league their kid plays for and so they criticize by calling someone a baby killer, a bookish snob or a nazi.

I realized today while I was taking my morning walk that some authors take delight in belittling another viewpoint using language like weapons. In so doing they sometimes show that maybe they don't really understand the issue. For example, I recently saw someone using the phrase, "greedy Republicans." Of course that is an argument waiting to happen. Immediately I began to think of democrats who were greedy, and independents that were greedy and republicans who were not greedy and so on. Does the Republican Party have a corner on greed? I think not. I have voted republican or democrat depending on the person running and I would admit that I have been somewhat greedy at times in my life and my political persuasion didn't have much to do with it.

I was talking with one of my sons recently about authors that we like and it occurred to me that one of the most winsome things about Brian McLaren's writing is that he seems to have tried to understand the other guy. A lot of people need a book that helps us get out of our hate speak long enough to understand another person and what that person is like and what they're trying to say or do.

Civil discourse. Can we be civilized in our conversation with others? Can we listen with interest? Can we be persuasive with our words? Can we give someone an intelligent reason for what we believe? Can we accept that person who doesn't agree with us or do they only have worth if we can get them to believe like us?

I think everybody needs an old man. Not just any old man. Not an old man who has become more and more like Archie Bunker in his prejudices. But an old man who listens and considers and asks questions and has some discernment and wisdom. Not an old man who forces his "good advice" on you but someone who can diagnose like a good motorcycle mechanic and offer a suggestion or two as a fellow struggler.

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger gary j. introne said...

You have one interesting perspective and have written it well. I like the way it folds and returns back on itself. Whatever the case, I'm reading more.

http://garyjin.blogspot.com

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

An internet mall with an ATTITUDE! It is our attitude that the customer is always right. We offer you a "personal shopper" service to help you find the perfect merchandise at your preferred price, whether for yourself or a gift. In our categorized departments we are proud to partner with some of the nation's finest merchants. If you are shopping for camping gear or any other items, let us know and we will tell you the various stores who offer the item(s) for sale. We will also point out the price comparisons. Give us a price range, time constraint, and occasion. We will do the work for you. All we ask in return is that you sign up for our monthly Newsletter. Your information is 100% private. We are a shopping portal with a service to offer! Get to know us and we think you will come back.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Adam said...

that was a really good post I don't really have anything to say

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger g13 said...

david dark makes a passionate plea for civil discourse in his the gospel according to america. i think dark is a helpful guide for those of us who want to submit to the politics of jesus and practice a hermeneutic of charity in this divisive, politically charged culture.

welcome to the blogosphere, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home