Thursday, September 11, 2008

lipstick on a pig

Much has been said about "lipstick" recently. Sarah Palin gave a speech that was talked about on TV and radio and in restaurants and coffee shops for days. A really big deal was made out of her ad lib "lipstick" joke. Then Obama gave a speech in which he used the old expression about "lipstick on a pig." Coincidence? Maybe, but in watching the video of what he said, and more importantly, how he paused, made me interpret it otherwise. His pause and the length of his pause, until the audience starting laughing and cheering, seemed to me a verbal "wink." It was a clever way to call Sarah Palin a pig, and then claim that the expression is used by many politicians.

If you read Obama's speeches, you will find much to like in the way he addresses subjects that are important to many people. He is skilled at subtleties and nuance. I've liked that up until now. Now he's behind in the polls, Palin is a threat to his campaign.

Over the last week I've paid careful attention to the way democrats, celebrities, Hollywood types and liberals have treated Palin. I don't know much about her but I know as much as these others do. She is supposed to be a Christian, pro-life, a reformer and change agent. She has been treated with great contempt and horrible things are being said about her and her children. Politicians may talk about how they want to represent all the people but they must mean only those people who agree with them and vote for them.

4 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

i was watching the news the other day and they had one of the ladies from the View on there talking about Palin. She was criticizing her because she wore glasses and said that she was only trying to look like the strict librarian type and that they [the glasses] probably weren't even real and she should be wearing contacts because...etc, etc, etc.

What a bunch of trash. I wear glasses almost every day because I don't like my contacts that much....but in the end WHAT does that have to do with anything? The best part about celebrities is that you can pretty much side against whatever they are for and feel like you're at least making an educated guess at best.

Politics at this stage in the game feels like a high-school popularity contest. It's exactly why I don't vote or get involved...I just sit back and think - these people are crazy.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger TWH said...

You're right, it is ridiculous, but come November it will be very important if for no othere reason than Supreme Court nominees.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Wit said...

I think Tyler can have a pass in IL. I don't see any way McCain can make it close in IL.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Lucas said...

I don't think McCain has a chance in IL either, but I vote because I don't want to hear every tom, dick, harry, and mostly my Dad give me the responsiblity to vote speach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home