Tuesday, June 05, 2007

tattoos at weddings and funerals

I'm at a lot of weddings and funerals. I see tattoos on girls at these formal occasions and I have to believe that as they were getting that tattoo they weren't thinking about how that tattoo would look when they were wearing formal type dress. It seems to me that they were probably thinking that they would always be wearing tattoo flattering jeans and some kind of tattoo flattering top. Maybe they were imagining themselves on the beach, riding a Harley or at the Carnival, not clinging to the side of a casket or standing up in front of 300 people at a church in someone's wedding.

Maybe young guys love seeing that tattoo half peeking out from behind some flaky bridesmaids dress. Also, the bridesmaids don't get to choose a color that coordinates with their tattoo. To me it's about as flattering as if the girl turned aside and spat out a big gob of tobacco juice. And funerals; somehow that great big pretty parrot or happy butterfly seem to look on mockingly when someone is crying and their nose is running.

I'm not against getting a tattoo. In fact I may get one when I turn 70. That way instead of having a smudgey blob of a tattoo on sagging skin at age 70 I'll have a brand spanking new tattoo on sagging skin.

6 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud reading that post! My dad actually got a tatoo on his chest a couple of years ago. I think it was a heart or something. He turns 60 this month. I guess people of all ages are doing it.

You won't see me with one--not because I object to it but because I don't like needles...

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Jason said...

My wife told me something along the same line. If I still want a tattoo many, many years from now, I can go ahead and get one. Thankfully, she's a voice of reason for the two of us.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Lucas said...

Okay, lets be fair. No one looks particularly attractive crying (at funerals or otherwise), in bridesmaid dresses (the whole point of the dress is to make girls look not as good as the bride), or when they are 70.

And really, they sell body make-up, so if the girl really wanted to, she could cover the tatoo for formal occations. Luck for me most formal occations don't require me to take my shirt off so my tatoo stays relatively secret.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Right now, in my semi-melancholy mood, this post was a reminder to me that decisions we make in the spur of the moment can have permanent affects. At least tattoos only affect the person who is sportin' it. (Except, of course, they can be an eyesore, as you have pointed out.)

Yeah... well, anyways...

The really scary tattoos are the designs that girls put around their bellybuttons. When they grow up and get pregnant... watch out!!! Stretch marks and tattoos do not get along very well.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger TWH said...

Lucas- You're so kind to the female gender. Always the gentleman. I appreciate that about you.

Stephanie- Yikes, I hadn't thought of a combination of tattoos and stretch marks. I haven't seen any of those at funerals or weddings (bare pregnant bellies, I mean). The only one I've seen lately is on television prior to the Super Bowl when a Chicago Bear fan was selling her pregnant belly as advertising space.

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

During pregnancy is bad enough... is AFTER that the problems really begin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home