Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Sambo joins my banned book collection


I bought the children's book "Little Black Sambo" this week in a silent book auction at the Brownsburg Public Library. $13 was all it took and I can put it in with other books that have been burned or banned or death threats put on the authors.

I read "Little Black Sambo" again for the first time. It's a pretty good story of a little boy in India who outsmarts some vicious tigers. It also has a moral because the tigers illustrate the futility and undesirable consequences of stubborn rage. From what I've been able to understand the main objection to the book is the name "Sambo," but Sambo's parents' names are apparently not so objectionable: Mama Sari and Papa Simbu. In my opinion the book's illustrator has a much stranger name: Watty Piper. The publishers were Platt and Munk.

Other banned books on my shelf include:

The Holy Bible...banned in many places and times for a revolutionary message.

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie...banned in India and Islamic countries for its mention of verses that have been removed from the Koran. It is considered blasphemous and Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa calling for the author's death. Some book stores in some countries refuse to sell it out of fear.

The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine...banned in the UK for blasphemy in the 18th Century.

Animal Farm by George Orwell...Publication delayed in UK because of anti-Stalin theme. Confiscated in Germany by Allied troops. Banned in Malaysia for religious reasons. I've never read this one but my curiosity is up now.

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak...Published in Italy in 1957 it was banned within the USSR until 1988 for its criticism of the Bolsheviks Party. It was also a boring movie, yet with good music.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain...One of my all-time favorites. When I was a kid I would have liked to have gone on some of Tom Sawyer's and Huck's adventures. Banned in the USA for use of racial slurs.

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway...Banned in Spain during Francisco Franco rule for its pro-Republican views.

Now that I've purchased "Little Black Sambo" I think I'm going to get real reckless and try to find "Black Beauty" which was banned in South Africa because it has the word "black" in the title. (Honest, I'm not making this up)

7 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice collection of banned books!You should add "The Catcher in the Rye" if you get the chance (not nearly as controversial, but very good).
-Kari

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

hey i remember that book little black sambo...of course I don't remember anything about it, but I can recall it being a part of my childhood.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Adam said...

animal farm is like the only book I read in H.S.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger TWH said...

Kari, I read "Catcher" in H.S. and I thought I still had it in my book collection but alas I couldn't find it so I'll have to replace it.

Tyler, you can read it next time you come home.

Adam, I started reading Animal Farm this morning and since it's small I'm about half way through. What a clever political story.

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey tim...i think you ought to track down Joel Osteen's "Your Best Life Now"
well...it has been banned from my house anyway

good to hear from you - now i know where your blog is - look for frequent comments!

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger TWH said...

That's hilarious. I can think of a few other "smiling pastor" books that wouldn't make it past the baloney detectors. Nice to hear from you.

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would probably add Ed Young's new book to the list of the "smiling handsome pastor who had perfect teeth" category.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home