Monday, March 07, 2011

Say ya to Rib Mountain





It's early March and all the snow has gone away in Indianapolis, but the snow is still flying in Wisconsin for late season skiing. TRH and I had planned to go skiing earlier in the year but I fell in my driveway like an uncoordinated oaf and then there were other conflicts so I began to wonder if we'd make it to the slopes. Never fear, Wisconsin is here,...or there,...or way up north in the frozen tundra.
I left on a Wednesday morning for a casual 8 hour drive. I stopped in Yorkville, IL to pick up TRH and we made a quick visit to Culver's for some butter burgers before setting off to Wausau, Wisconsin, the highest point in Wisconsin and our ski destination.
Arriving at the inn where I had booked our reservation was a happy surprise. In fact, here is a summary of what I liked about Wausau in ascending order.
3. Michaels Restaurant. It was hard to find, buried behind big snowbanks but it was a much finer quisine that I ever would have expected judging from the old grocery store exterior, the multiple ratty looking sets of doors which could have been "Get Smart" rejects. There were linen tablecloths and napkins. The menu was diverse and interesting. The owner was attentive, and our waitress was excellent too.
2. Rib Mountain Inn. This little inn had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on in while away from home. The complimentary breakfast was made to order individually and served in a quaint dining hall with a real fire crackling in the fireplace. $79.00 for the night might have been a steal but it was freely offered. The Inn was staffed with genuinely friendly and helpful people and we were only about a snowball's throw from the slopes.
1. Granite Peak Ski area was a grade above other ski areas I've visited in Illinois and Wisconsin. For a midwestern ski experience it had a nice variety of runs for multiple skill levels and a scarcity of moguls which suited me fine. Colorado it ain't but for a quick trip in late season it was nearly perfect. We started out at 10 am on freshly groomed trails and then it started snowing so we finished up five hours later on 3 inches of fresh powder.
We skied into the afternoon, which made for a long and late drive home, arriving at 2 am, but what a satisfying day with my son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home