Saturday, January 12, 2008

Indiana gun show

Today I went to my first Indiana gun show, the Indy 1500. I paid $3 to park and $9 to get in. I carried in one hand my Remington Nylon 66 22 rifle, and in the other hand an antique leather gun case. I was hoping to sell both and based on my experience in the parking lot things looked promising.
These things amazed me:
Upon arrival and stepping out of my car I was almost immediately approached by anther guy carrying a gun and he asked me what what I was asking for my Nylon 66.
I was amazed that four or five other guys asked me what I wanted for my Nylon 66 before I got to the front door.
I was amazed that as I walked around the show I had 40 or 50 other people ask me about my Nylon 66.
I was amazed to see hundreds of people walking around with all kinds of guns looking at and buying guns of all description.
I was amazed that there seemed to be as many deals going on between the customers as the dealers.
I was amazed that after awhile it seemed odd if someone was NOT carrying a gun.
I was amazed that I saw Dave Rieck, someone that I knew from Illinois.
I was amazed that I saw a guy from my faith community.
I was amazed that when I said, "How come you're not carrying a gun, he said, "I am" and pulled out a pistol.
I was amazed that I sold a gun that I bought for $50 over 30 years ago.
I was amazed that the guy who bought it from me had a wad of money in his pocket as big as your fist.
I was amazed that he peeled off $175 without batting an eye.
I was amazed that as I walked away from the gun show there were many more people carrying guns on their way to the show.
I was amazed to see men and women and people pushing little kids in strollers.
I was amazed to see a very classy looking elderly woman proudly carrying a rifle.

The whole thing was amazing. Thousands of people over three days at the Indiana State Fairgrounds walking around carrying guns, looking at guns, buying and selling guns. None of the guns were in cases. Everything was just as casual as if we had been carrying around ice cream cones. Amazing.

11 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoosiers.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger TWH said...

that's so predictable

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger TWH said...

that's so predictable

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so predictable

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see any snipers with silencers on them?

adam

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger TWH said...

Yes. I saw everything from tiny little pistols that a woman could put in her purse to guns that looked like they belonged on tanks.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont understand what your trying to say? Do you understand that this is one of our rights? Do you realize that a lot of the people who participate in Gun Shows are collectors? I frequent gun shows, and I'm a female. You wont find a group of more honest & concerned people anywhere.You may have thought you saw a lot of easy sales going on-but, believe me-a sale is not taken lightly at a Gun Show.It doesnt matter if its an individual (selling a part of his collection ) or a Dealer-its all taken very seriously. Your article sounds very damaging -I dont like it.

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to about every Indy 1500. They are great. Lots of neat people, lots of great deals.

 
At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also am unsure of the meaning behind this article. Why don't all the people who don't want to own guns just shut up about those of us who do. It's simple, if you don't like guns then don't buy one and don't go to gun shows. Get over the guns. They are not going away. You have a greater chance being struck by lightning than being shot by a responsible legal gun owner. It's not the people buying, selling or legally carrying firearms you should worry about. It's the criminal with the illegal firearm sneaking around at night trying to cause harm that's the problem. If you are ever faced with an armed criminal you may wish a responsible gun owner is around to save you. The criminals will always have guns no matter the laws. The stupid gun laws only serve to remove firearms from the hands of responsible law abiding citizens.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a God given Right to protect ones self, his or her family ,neighbor, loved one, ect. ect. ect... Its not being parranoid as some people who have never handled a fire arm would voice ; but being prepared ; We drive thousands of miles in our cars with the comfort of knowing that we have a spare tire in the trunk or extra water bottles or food or a blanket or umbrella, this is being prepared, not parronoid. Get PREPARED NOW. From your freind , neighbor, countrymen. Merry Christmas to all of you, and my GOD, BLESS YOU ALL.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger TWH said...

It's been a long time since I've visited this post. To answer those who thought I was putting down gun shows...I wasn't. It was my first gun show. It wasn't what I expected. I didn't know what I expected. The police were there. I didn't see anything wrong with anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home