Friday, April 01, 2011

My naked goldwing vocabulary



Nine years ago when I began my venture into learning about motorcycles I had no idea how much my vocabulary would expand. I knew there would be the obviously familiar terms like tires and engines, and unfamiliar words like "tappet" but I wasn't prepared for all the specialized terminology I would encounter in just the world of naked Goldwings. In some ways this reminds me of learning another language. I don't suppose it's as bad as what beginner bass fishermen go through but it probably comes close.

Naked Goldwings: I didn't know there was such a thing a motorcycles described as "naked"; motorcycles without fairings and bags and such. I just knew I didn't like the looks of all that luggage, plastic and bling. So I set about the task of removing and throwing away everything that I could from my 1975 Goldwing, within reason. See picture of naked Goldwing and not-naked rider.

Tupperware: All the plastic that you see on "full dressed" (not naked) Goldwings.

Snotter: I'm still not sure I know what this means. I know it's not a good thing.

Jiggle pin: When you change the thermostat there is a little pin that is loosely attached to the outer rim on the thermostat. I've seen it most often called the jiggle pin. it's also called a bleed orifice but I think Jiggle pin is more fun. The thermostat is installed so that the jiggle pin is located on the top, not the bottom.

Wiggle test: When you suspect a bad water pump you remove the pump cover and see if you can wiggle the pump. If you can wiggle the water pump, you should change it.

Bobber: The idea here is that the motorcycle has been shortened in some way. Just like a Bobcat has a short tail, a Bobber is a shortened motorcycle. Some motorcycles have had the rear fender and everything on it removed, shortened or bobbed. The license plate is often then positioned vertically, near a rear shock. The tail lights are minimal. The bobbers preceeded the choppers. Bobbers were sometimes, often times, chopped. I won't define choppers, since everyone knows what a chopper is.

Cafe style: The emphasis here seems to be fast and minimalist. Everything that you don't really need is taken off the bike, even things like the front fender. Wikipedia has a great article on the origins and culture around this.

Rat: This seems to me to be a motorcycle that has gone Goth. Everything chrome is blackened out and the look is reminiscent of the motorcycles in Mad Max.

Castellated nut: Yes, that sounds painful. It's a big nut with one one side that is a normal smooth nut but the other side looks like the top of a castle wall with the indentations. See picture above.

Prise, tyre, boot: Reading a repair manual that is written by a British subject you will come across many terms like these. I suppose this is the Queen's English but it translates into: pry, tire, trunk.

Happy trails. That's nothing, except just me saying goodbye.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home