Sunday, November 06, 2011

Street Bob in Mace, Indiana


I got the naked Goldwing out to take a ride, but it had a problem, so I took my Harley Street Bob instead. It was a beautiful day and I wanted to take advantage of the warmth. Before long the nice days to ride will give way to snow drifts. As I was riding I came across this simple gem of yesterday architecture; the roadside gas station. The massive self service gas station/convenience stores commonly seen along the road elicit only ambivalence from me. Exaggerated pricing on everything from a bottle of soda to a dreamcatcher to hang from your rear view mirror is enough to create a major hit on your bank account if you linger very long.
On the other hand, I love these nostalgic roadside reminders of the days when people didn't have to drink pop and eat Slim Jims while they drove.
I believe this prim and proper former gas station serves as an office for some rental property but whatever its use my compliments to the owners on a nicely maintained building. It also serves as a nice frame for a photo opportunity.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger mkhughes said...

Back in the day, you didn't buy your food at a gas station, you brought it with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home