Thursday, December 15, 2005

where have all the Whigs gone?

I feel cheated. I haven't heard of any Whigs in public office in my lifetime and I'm being cheated out of a whole list of words that would be fun to say if there were Whigs in Washington or anyplace else.

I was looking in my Websters and serendipitously came across this list of fascinating words:

Whiggamore, a Scottish Presbyterian opposed to the English court party: used in contempt.

Whiggarchy, a government by Whigs.

Whiggery, the principles and practices of the Whigs.

Whiggification, a rendering Whiggish.

Whiggish, pertaining to or like Whigs or their doctrines.

Whiggishly, in a Whiggish manner.

Whiggishness, the quality of being Whiggish

Whiggism, the doctrines and principles of Whigs, especially of English Whigs.

Whigling, a petty Whig: used in contempt.

We don't have anything fun in politics anymore. Democrats and Republicans aren't nearly as interesting as Whigs.

I wonder, if I was to run as a Whig if anyone would vote for me. TWH, a middle aged Whig, spoke in Whiggisms today, to the cheers of many Whiglings. There has been growing interest in Whiggishness despite fears of a Whiggarchy and charges of a Whiggification. Stay tuned for breaking news and expert interview on Whiggishly behavior on college campuses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home