Friday, April 21, 2006

the power of plastic packaging

I was planting bushes for the French allee portion of my back yard. Lo and behold I saw this funny looking thing sticking out of the dirt like a pewter dollar in a mudhole. I grabbed it, thinking it was buried treasure. It wasn't. It was a little plastic package of hot sauce. This was buried about a foot under the ground.

I live in a fairly new subdivision. Our house is about four years old. Do you know what the soil goes through when a new subdivision is built? It is like the builder declares war on the ground. The good top soil is scrapped off to one side by giant bulldozers. There are enormous earth punishing machines that pound and poke and slice and dice and rape and torture the earth. It takes years for the ground to recover. It is a crime what is done to the soil, in my opinion. And here is a plastic package of hot sauce, accidently or intentionally buried by construction workers that has survived all that. Other things don't survive.

I hope my new bushes survive as well as the hot sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home