Sunday, February 12, 2006

ripped off

I'm feeling a great disturbance in my soul because once again I've been ripped off. It happens to me often, maybe no more often than to others, but still it leaves me with a disturbing sense of frustration.

Recently a friend sent me a package of medicine that he bought in another country for a fraction of what it would cost in the States. I'm talking $500 dollars worth of medicine for $50. When the package arrived at my house it had been carefully opened by someone between here and Texas and the pills were gone. I went to the post office to complain and they said they couldn't do anything about it since it was just "Priority Mail" not "insured." He said he could initiate an investigation but it would be considered a "low priority" and nothing would be about it.
Ripped off.

Did you ever get your money back from a rebate at Best Buy? One Christmas we bought several things with rebates, followed their instructions to the letter and only got about half of the money back. When we complained we got a cheap photocopy of a form letter saying that we must not have followed the instructions and they weren't going to do anything about it.
Ripped off.

Need I mention what we are paying at the gas pumps and the record profits the big oil companies are reporting?
Ripped off.

Two years ago I took two packages of Double Stuff Oreo cookies to a missionary friend of ours in England, because Oreos aren't available there. At least, I had two packages in my luggage when we left O'Hare. When we arrived in Paris, the Double Stuffs were gone. Needless to say, when we arrived in England my friend was very disappointed.
Ripped off.

I could go on, but you could probably tell me a few of your own stories were you got ripped off. In fact, please leave me a comment of when you've been ripped off.

This old man's advice: Insure things you send through the mail, it's cheap; don't buy things that sucker you in with a rebate; drive less; and if you're going to travel, take your cookies in your carry on bag.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Adam said...

sorry that stinks

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

Once in High School, someone sole my wallet out of my gym locker. They took the money and my Student ID. I found out much later who it was and that he mainly wanted my ID so that he could buy cigarettes. The thing is that this kid was fat and would never pull it off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home