Thursday, January 26, 2006

"Cursed be the day of my birth,"

Proabably everybody has had the thought at some time or another, "I wish I had never been born." I think it's pretty safe to say that most people have had a bad day, some unfortunate circumstances, some super stressful moments, days of disillusionment, despondency, despair (do you get the idea?) and we've said, "I wish I had never been born." Well compared to a guy named Job we are novices and neophytes mere amateurs, green as a gourd in the fine art of wishing our life away.

I came across his rant in some recreational Bible reading and had to stand back in appreciation of his thoroughness, emotion and the sheer creativity and (as TRH said, artistic or poetic quality) of what he said.

Not only did he curse the "day" of his birth but the "night" he was conceived as well. He wanted that moment to be lost to his parents but he wished it to be lost to God as well. He wanted darkness and utter gloom to claim that day. He wanted a black cloud to overshadow it and in addition to have the darkness terrify that day. He wanted that day to be blotted out, completely removed from the calendar never to exist again. He would rather the universe be deprived of that day than have the day he was born to continue to exist.

Here's the best part. With all this blasting of his day of birth, he apparently didn't feel like he was doing a good enough job of cursing that day so he said, "Let those who are experts at cursing--those who are ready to rouse the sea monster--curse that day."

It's one thing to curse something thoroughly and artistically but then to try to find others who could curse something better than you, and get them in on the act, now that's a mighty thorough cursing. My opinion is that you could find those expertly cursing people working for the railroad, at least they were the most accomplished cursers that I had ever heard.

There is more, he goes on, but I won't. Read it for yourself in the New Living Translation. Job 3

Actually I'm glad to be alive, thankful that God has been merciful to me and let me live. I'm thankful that my parents and God made me. Life is good. God is good. Have a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home