Sunday, January 29, 2006

a hunter and a vegetarian

I saw something yesterday that I had a hard time believing. My wife exclaimed, "There's a robin in the back yard." I didn't believe her and yet I knew she wouldn't lie so I had to look to see and sure enough there was a robin in our backyard sitting in one of our little crabapple trees. While I stood at the window two more robins flew at the single robin and they got into one of those little bird fights that you often see when a bird is being territorial.

We don't have robins in our yard during the winter. But here they were, three robins fighting over territory in our backyard on January 28th.

And while I was musing over that remarkable fact the robin reached out and ate one of the little crabapples on the tree. Maybe that doesn't seem like a very big deal to you but that's significant to me because a robin is a hunter and a meateater. Robins are not freeloading birds that eat food that kindhearted people put out for them, they hunt worms, kill them and eat them. Robins are tough little birds and that's one of the reasons I like them. So does the hunter become a vegetarian during the winter? Is the earth now rotating the opposite direction? Did the pope give up Catholicism? Did hell freeze over? Do submarines now have screendoors? Did the robin see a worm that had climbed the tree and was sitting on a crabapple and I only thought the robin eat a crabapple?

I need to do some research. What is a robin doing eating a crabapple in Indy on January 28? If anybody has a clue I'd like to hear it.

3 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Lucas said...

Perhaps the fight you witnessed was the Robin's mother telling him to make sure to eat his greens. Or maybe even Robins try New Years Resolution diets.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger TWH said...

Nice try Lucas. He was eating his reds not his greens.
I got this ...where else....off the internet.
General Information
The American Robin, the largest of the North American thrushes, is found over most of North America in the summer months. Its familiar song, cheer-up, cheer cheer cheer-up , begins well before daybreak and in many regions signals the start of spring. It is notorious for its ability to find, catch and eat earthworms. Contrary to popular wisdom, earthworms are found by sight rather than by sound. Diet also consists of beetles, grasshoppers, other insects, and many fruits including grapes, cherries, pokeberries, and mistletoe, and in southern states, the fruits of the Sabal Palm.

But why on January 28th?

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Last time I came to visit I saw a bluebird and a cardinal by a stop sign. I was like "what are the odds of that?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home