Friday, August 18, 2006

sissy tattoos

...so I'm playing catcher for the church softball team because I'm old and when you're old you don't have enough arm left to play anything but catcher. I'm a heckler. I have always heckled, long before the existence of trash talking (whatever that is). I just talk to the batter about the pitches that he ought to swing at, his clothes, his wheels, his physical appearance and whether or not he's going to be the next out.

So a young tough comes up and he has some sort of a cloth band around the calf of his leg. I ask him, "What's that thing for?" He plays on a Christian softball team, so he answers me. "That's to protect my tattoo in case I have to slide." Excuse me while I turn aside to snicker. I've always thought that tattoos were worn by manly men, burly rough and tumble warrior type men who would ignore bayonette or schrapnel wounds that might damage their tattoo. I guess not.

It was such a pretty tattoo, all multicolored. The cloth band wasn't staying up very well. Maybe he should get a pretty scarf to tie around his leg to keep the cloth band over his pretty tatoo. Or maybe he ought to just forget about a game where he might have to slide, and go to a tanning parlor instead, or go see a dentist about whitening his teeth.

I'm not really against tattoos. However, the only tattoos I find interesting are the ones that have been on a sailor's arm for 50 years and they are so old they just look like a massive ink smudge. I'm especially uncomfortable with eyecatching tattoos worn by young girls in places on their body at which you're already trying to avoid staring.

Maybe I'll get a tattoo on my 70th birthday if I live that long. I'll probably stop playing softball by then and I won't have to worry about ruining it.

2 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

or he should just wear pants.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Sarah said...

I think tattoos have different purposes for different people. It sounds like the player on the softball team had an artistic piece, not a simple symbol or brand. I've seen the tattoos you're talking about on older gentlemen who've served in the army/marines/etc. and have gone through wartimes. Their tattoos aren't typically artistic pieces though. Instead, they're usually smaller symbols or graphics. They don't require the same amount of upkeep. And now they look like inky amoeba blobs. On the other hand, when you refer to the softball player's tattoo, just imagine that he just invested in an expensive piece of artwork that he now needs to maintain and upkeep, just as you would a famous painting or sculpture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home