Sunday, June 10, 2007

jet fueled


I've been having some problems with the 76 Goldwing. Since this motorcycle was built to run on leaded fuel I decided to try an octane booster. There are several on the market and the labels are very humorous to me. The brand I decided on was STP. they claimed on the bottle that their product was "barely street legal." Another brand said right on the package "not street legal." What a great gimmick to get sales. Of course anyone with a "need for speed" (which would include anyone looking for an octane booster) would want something that would make them go faster whether it was legal or not. In fact, most customers fitting this description probably exceeded the speed limit on their way to the automotive shop in addition to squealing their tires and breaking sundry other moving violations.

The claims this product made:
Made with JET FUEL
Carries active ingredients
Restore performance
Prevent hesitation and stumble

I was just about to take a swig of it to restore my performance...after all...I am an old man, but then I read "Harmful or fatal if swallowed, COMBUSTIBLE.

I hoped, fantasized, and nearly salivated at the thought that my motorcycle would fairly rocket right out from under me. But, alas, I noticed no difference. Another product fails to deliver, as is the case with so many...

8 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, thanks for making me lust...after a motorcycle, that is. I have wanted one for a long time, especially since everybody in Streator seemed to have one. I can't seem to convince Melanie that I really need one. I did well to get an iPod. I guess I can live vicariously through the fun other people are having with their bikes.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger TWH said...

50-70 miles to the gallon is a pretty good arguing point.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger tjh said...

Sorry, to here about the octane booster. I had high hopes as I first begin to read. Oh, those blasted sales pitches! If only they would deliver half of what they promise.

And, Kent...there is nothing like a motorcycle to make you feel alive!

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger TWH said...

tjh- the Bro ride is in jeopardy. I can't trust the Goldwing to go very far. I'm having it looked at by Grumpy's Goldwing Service in Thorntown but they can't get it in until the 27th, and of course there's no guarantee it will run right after they look at it. I replaced a fuel line because it looked a little cracked. As I drained out some of the fuel I noticed some bubbles in the fuel. I'm going to track down that lead because if the bubbles are either water or oil I may have discovered an important clue.

I also checked into renting a Harley for the week. Over 700 smackers. I about choked.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger TWH said...

Kent, riding a motorcycle is the closest thing to flying that I've experienced. Close to the motorcycle experience is coming down off the highest point of a roller coaster and downhill skiing on fresh snow.

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so did you drink it? did it work? talk about an energy drink....

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Just the other day as I was trying to convince Lucas to buy a new bike, he mentioned something about how cool it would be to have a bike like yours. By that he meant one that he could tinker around with and work on all the time. I tried to explain to him what it would be like to constantly work on a bike but not be able to ride it...I guess your story takes me back to that conversation.

Btw, I just gave my bike a tune-up. It wasn't cheap, but my bike has never run so smooth (and the rear shock is fixed)!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I did just get my 10-speed tuned up, so now I can fly...at 10 mph. It's a start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home