Friday, January 25, 2008

couch time

I heard Doug Pagitt speak at a gathering of the Indianapolis Center for Congregations. He's an author and the pastor of Solomon's Porch, a Christian community, or you might say, "hippie church"(that's what he calls it). I found him to be quite interesting, well read, humble, self effacing, and the more he talked the more I agreed that Solomon's Porch is truly a "hippie church." I've known a couple of "hippie churches" in my time. There will always be a place in the world and in my heart for a "hippie church."

At Solomon's Porch they sit on couches. He explains that they considered theater seats, pews and couches. The theater seat has the connotation of being entertained, the pew has the connotation of a lecture, a couch has the connotation of home. Naturally they chose home. When you put it like that, who wouldn't. The only thing I wonder is if people over time have their favorite couch they want to sit in. I know I would. I wouldn't want the couch with the musty smell, or the one with the floral pattern, or the one that looks like grandma's couch. I also wouldn't want the one that is hard as a rock because it's really a sleeper sofa. Can you imagine what a great nap time you could have if you could sit on a couch at church?

3 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

If it was a REAL hippy church, they'd sit in vans while driving to protest something and smoke lots of weed.

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be a cool environment. You could meet someone really quick sitting next to them on a couch. Then you can show them your gun...

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When seen with the naked eye I think some people think that that church doesn't do a whole lot and is a fad. But they do a whole lot more than churches sitting in their pews squirming to get comfortable.

adam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home