Tuesday, March 04, 2008

an interesting gun show comment

I was so surprised. I was scanning back over some old posts and I saw a comment I hadn't seen before. I've copied and pasted the comment below. The comment is in response to a post I wrote about a gun show which you can read in full if you scroll down the page.

Anonymous said...

I dont understand what your trying to say? Do you understand that this is one of our rights? Do you realize that a lot of the people who participate in Gun Shows are collectors? I frequent gun shows, and I'm a female. You wont find a group of more honest & concerned people anywhere.You may have thought you saw a lot of easy sales going on-but, believe me-a sale is not taken lightly at a Gun Show.It doesnt matter if its an individual (selling a part of his collection ) or a Dealer-its all taken very seriously. Your article sounds very damaging -I dont like it.

9:58 AM

Dear anonymous,

Thanks for your comment. Maybe the reason you didn't understand what I was trying to say was because I wasn't trying to say anything positive or negative. I was just making some observations which I thought were amazing to me since it was my first time at an Indiana Gun Show.

Yes, I do know that the right to bear arms is one of my rights, one that I value highly. I hope others do too. I pay close attention to political candidates which I believe might take away my rights and unfortunately there are plenty of them this time around. I have a few guns which I use for hunting and target practice. I would own more guns if I could afford them.

Yes, I know that a lot of people at gun shows are collectors. I met several collectors at the gun show and found them to be very nice people. That didn't surprise or amaze me.

As far as "easy sales" I wouldn't know about that. The only sale I saw was the one I made.

Sorry, you thought my post was "damaging" and that you "didn't like it." At least you are honest, right? And maybe a little overly suspicious. And a little secretive... "anonymous."

Thanks for your comment. At the next gun show I'll be the guy walking around with two shotguns and an antique leather gun case for sale. The leather case is real nice. You could probably use it.

6 Comments:

At 4:11 AM, Blogger RRM said...

For what it’s worth, I didn’t think your article sounded at all damaging. In fact, I thought the tone was fairly placid and benign. You might well have been describing a collection of people at an afternoon sporting event. I read not one negative thing about our right to own and enjoy our firearms. RRM

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

one time I went to a gun show w/ a fake ID and bought 50 machine gunz!!!

A-ratta-tat-tat

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger TWH said...

rrm-thanks for your objectivity--it's worth a lot

tyler- I'm still laughing--

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Jonathan H said...

Yeah, I didn't think your article was written to protest or damage anything. I was actually quite fascinated at the story, since I have never been to a gun show.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Jonathan H said...

It's also pretty hard to communicate voice tone in a blog, and since this person doesn't know you or have experienced the "spirit" of your blog, they may have assumed your blog entry was a critique on the gun show.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just cause we know you... I just thought it was about how quirky that experience seems to a new comer.

I also find irony in signing as "anonymous" to a blog where everyone uses their intials. It's like we have partial anonymity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home