Monday, January 12, 2009

Best buddies


It's been a long time...decades... since I've been "best buddies" with anyone.  Now it's true that my wife is my best friend, but as far as male friendships, I have friends but not best buddies.  There are guys I hunt with, ride motorcycles with, who help me when I need a friend.  There are guys I could call at 2 am and I could count on.  There are guys who I would trust with my life.  Still, "best buddies" is a unique and awesome statement.

Last week my 4 year old grandson Little Zee and I went to some woods owned by a friendly farmer.  We put on the 4 wheel drive on my truck, slogged through the mud, crashed through an icy stream, looked at cows, climbed hills, drove through a field.  Little Zee was duly impressed with the power of 4 wheel drive.  As the rednecks say, "Bury me in my truck cause I ain't never seen a hole it cain't climb out of."
  
We got out of the truck, found a dozen nice rocks for my landscaping, looked at wild turkey and coyote tracks and just had a great time hiking, and being in the woods.

On the way back home we stopped at Casey's and soon were munching on crackers and cheese.  I was sipping a diet A&W Root Beer and Little Zee was sipping fruit juice out of a Buzz Lightyear juice container.

He looked at me and said, "We're best buddies aren't we PawPaw?"  Just freeze that moment.  What a wonderful treasure.  He told me that he was best buddies with his daddy too.  What a wonderful father who teaches his son about best buddies.

These moments are fleeting.  I know I won't always be his best buddy, but for now I'm flying high.        

2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a moment and a comment you'll never forget. It brings tears to my eyes.
Mkhughes

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are slowly becoming the moments I live for. When my niece says "I love you uncle Luc" my limbs go slack as I almost literally melt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home