Tuesday, January 03, 2012

the best thing about my naked Goldwing...


The best thing about my naked Goldwing is not the bike. It's the friends I have made along the way.
I often read and hear about people who have done beautiful restorations, built imaginative bikes or meticulously maintain their motorcycles and they do it all by themselves. Some folks even make that a badge of honor and take great pride that they have done everything themselves. I'm happy for them.
When I think about my naked Goldwing I think of the friends who helped me, encouraged me, advised me, and volunteered to do some of the mechanical work. My two year project would have lasted ten years if I would have done everything myself. I'm not even sure I would have finished it.
I started out with almost no tools, no mechanical background, and no experience with motorcycles.
I had never heard of a "naked Goldwing." I had never owned a motorcycle before. I didn't know that 75 was the first year that Goldwings were offered. I didn't even like the looks of Goldwings, and still don't like the stock look. I didn't know what year my Goldwing was for sure and I didn't know that my Goldwing was probably made on the first day of production. I wanted to learn about motorcycles by working on one and the unexpected blessing was that there were other guys who became interested in my project. By the time I was done I had some friends that I now consider among my closest.
Yes, I like my Goldwing. I've never seen another one just like it. When you work on your own motorcycle you really get to know it. When you work with other people on something of mutual interest you feel a great sense of shared vision and accomplishment.
Since the time that the bike was completed I have spent a lot of time in my garage by myself working on improving and maintaining my bike. It's fun to figure something out and bring a repair to completion. I like what I have learned and the riding time I've enjoyed but the friendships matter the most to me. The friendships will be there long after the bike is gone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home