Wednesday, January 25, 2012

shocks for 75 Naked Goldwing



The shocks on my 75 naked Goldwing are leaking. Why shouldn't they? They've done their job for 36 years.

So I checked online and found Progressive Suspension but I read a review on them that the damping may not last for more than a year and a half and that they're kinda stiff.

I liked the idea of the Hagon shocks because they want to talk to their customers and build each shock to the customer's specifications.

I called my local independent shop and they recommended Progressive.

I then called Mother Honda and the parts girl said they had some aftermarket products available, namely Progressive.

One other product that came up in my search with a good recommendation was The Works.

All of these products run about $300 depending on whether you want the more expensive chrome, or the black springs. New springs are recommended on a vintage bike that you'll be riding because as a friend pointed out, the old springs have already bounced down a lot of roads and they're tired and they won't do the job as well as something that is new.

The final piece to add in this story is the link I got from a friend who suggested the NOS (New Old Stock) shocks available at Liquid Chopper. These shocks were made in the seventies so they are going to provide the stock look but they are brand new, never been used. I couldn't resist. I ordered two and then later wondered if I had ordered two shocks or two pairs. I'll find out if I get them, as there is always a danger with NOS that the supply will be depleted. The price on these shocks is...also...right around $300 for (2) (?).

This turned out better than I expected. Liquid Choppers was out of the shock I ordered, and gulp, that was two pairs of shocks I ordered. So back to the drawing board.

Then a friend told me about a guy who was selling some used shocks with only 600 miles on them that were the exact shocks I had ordered originally. So, for $60 I got what I needed, they look great and I saved $240.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home