Monday, January 30, 2012

naked goldwing final drive


The final drive must be one of the most overlooked parts on my naked goldwing motorcycle. The oil in this poor stepsister part smells putrid. At least the Kawasaki Gear Oil I'd been using stunk pretty bad. The other reason for my blatant neglect is the infrequency of service required. My Haynes Manual says to change the hypoid gear oil every 2 years or 24,000 miles. Woops, it's been 8 years so I best get to it.
I had actually checked the hypoid (don't you love that term, a combination of hyper and paranoid, which describes a few people I've known) gear oil often over the past eight years and the level never budged by one drop that I could tell. Now that I'm reminded about the proper service interval I'll do better.
Also, I'm going to be using a different product this time around.
The Lucas family is well known around the Circle City and since they sponsor the stadium where one of my favorite NFL teams plays I think I'll give their HUB oil a chance. It sure doesn't stink like the Kawasaki product and it is almost a gel so it squeezes right in where it's supposed to go. After waiting for the HUB oil to settle and for the bubbles to disappear I sealed the final drive up again. It is such an easy job. Why did I neglect this little chore before?
I sure do have a lot of product left over. Does anyone want to come over and get their hypoid gear oil changed?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home