Saturday, September 08, 2007

last chapter


My brother and I started doing the Bro Ride because we felt a need to spend some time together and since we both rode motorcycles it seemed like a natural. I give Tom the credit for the idea, and the name "Bro Ride." He's a great brother. With him I'm not the "pastor" or the neighbor, just the brother. That is very freeing.

I never know if my motorcycle will run from one minute to the next. After all it's 31 years old. This year it overheated occasionally but that was manageable and our trip wasn't interrupted by mechanical failure like last year.

We got as far south as Corydon, Indiana 12 miles from Kentucky and discovered that the roads along the Ohio River in Indiana were "scenic" so we opted to just look at Kentucky from across the river instead of ride our cycles into the blue grass state. I thought the spot pictured here was especially scenic. Enjoy.

Something I realized on this trip: When I'm riding along, occasionally I will feel tiny droplets of (water?) or something hitting my lips. I realized that these are tiny airborne droplets of water from automobile air conditioning that is thrown my direction if a car is in front of me.

Something else: I'll bet you haven't noticed this. A lot of towns have funny names, like French Lick. A few miles away there's a town named English. Apparently there is no licking going on among the English. Seriously, who comes up with names like: Paoli, Ina, Oolitic, Cuzco, Lick Fork, Gnaw Bone, Needmore, Loogootee?

Here's to you bro. Next year what about the 1,000 mile Circle Tour trip around Lake Michigan?

6 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont forget about Floyds Nobs. We named our band after that town in IN.

Adam

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger tjh said...

What a great time all the way a round. I'm still telling friends and family of the food, roads, sights, fun and fellowship I enjoyed on this recent trip. Thanks for your words, you made my eyes water, and lips smile. I feel the same way about you and our times together...so you bet I'm ready to do another ride. Lake Michigan here we come, but not in 24 hours, right?

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

HAHA adam I was just going to post the Floyds Knobs thing. Looks like a fun trip!

I think Cuzco is a peruvian city, so blame them for the weird naming.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Some of Melissa's family used to live in Paoli, and it's a completely different world down there. It's definitely beautiful country though.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger tjh said...

You are right about that Jason. We stopped at the gas station to get something to drink and get off the bikes, and I felt I had jumped back to MO. Good old boys and girls abounded!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Adam said...

If you guys want beautiful but not too difficult and "multicultural" for a middle of the US come to OH next time and hit up the southern part. I lived near Paoli and it doesn't even compare.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home