Saturday, August 25, 2007

Bro Ride bugs and grub


Your face does not make a very good windshield. My brother and I finished the "Bro Ride 2007" which consisted of 800 miles in three days stretching from Donovan, Illinois throughThorntown, Indiana, the Indianapolis Monument Circle, Nashville, Salem, French Lick, Bedford, Terre Haute, Perryville and Danville, Illinois, just to name a few.

This year I used an open face half helmet because of the heat. The temperature was in the nineties and even one hundred so the idea of having my whole head in a plastic bucket 6-8 hours a day didn't appeal to me. Of course I don't have a windshield on my motorcycle so all the bugs plastered on me. I caught a big flying grasshopper in my forehead above my right eye and it stuck. I had to turn my head to one side and then the other to get the wind to blow it off my forehead and then clean the bug juice off the next time I stopped. I caught another enormous flying grasshopper on my lip and that really hurt. Yes the bug juice was gross but I was spitting like crazy trying to keep from swallowing any. I was successful. Sometimes I would see a Monarch or Swallowtail about to cross my path and I would cheer for them, "Go little Monarch, fly high little Swallowtail.....oh...too bad.

Best Restaurant on the trip was "The Good Table" in Kentland, Indiana. For $5.25 I got a chopped steak as big as a platter, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad, rolls, crackers, aaaannnd a bowl of ice cream for dessert. Honorable mention goes to Monicals Pizza in Danville, Illinois. You can't beat Monicals for pizza.

More to come on the Bro Ride

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

Awesome. I trust your bike didn't malfunction this year?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger TWH said...

On the subject of motorcycle maintenance, it doesn't run real smooth but it started and did everything I asked it to do. With all the heat, it kept wanting to overheat but as long as I ran it under 60 mph it never boiled over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home